Sunday, November 06, 2005

the language grows


I'm so ridiculously proud of myself. sure, one of my 9 year old students could have figured out how to read the train schedlues that I get in Japanese (kanji) on my cell phone. but most English teachers can't. so I'm proud of myself. and it meant that when a missed connection between some new teacher and myself happened Sat night, I could still find my way home. better than sleeping at the sation, any night.



so, empowered by my phone success last night, I braved the tiny Okonomiyaki shop near my apartment. I walk by it everyday and curse that I haven't had one of the best Japanese foods since I came back because I'm too chicken to go into the little mom and pop shop and strike up a conversation. but today I did!

Okonomiyaki literally translates to your favorite cooked food but is really a pancake with squid and cabbage. and loads of some special sauce and fish flakes. but it's really good.

so after eating and minor chatting when I left this woman, who exemplifies my image of a good Japanese mother, after showing me pictures of her neices and nephews in SanFrancisco, told me that if I have any problems, I can ask her for help.

and I left, full of yummy weird food, and a warm feeling of being part of this funny Japanese community.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking for bargains in dollar-store shares
Last year, Wall Street analysts looked up to see cheap "dollar'' stores in every retail haunt in ... Greg Sukenik, who follows real estate investment trusts, likes Host Marriott (HMT) for strong earnings, a higher dividend and assets in cities where there is little new supply.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to instant road repair on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like instant road repair!