Friday, June 20, 2008

Poverty is, like, so exotic

Although they are in China, I'm not going to blog much about malls.

I'm not going to blog much about Starbucks and McDonalds and all the Westernization. I will mention that WalMart is becoming popular.

In general, I and I think most travelers to China, prefer to talk about the "exotic" things. The peasants with water buffalo (yes, there is a picture of that on it's way)the chickens on the rice terraces (also coming) the dirty alleyways (in Shanghai) the crazy bike traffic, etc. In general, I took more pictures of the poverty than the wealth of China. But I don't want to cast too much of a skewed view. China and the Chinese there, are indeed, probably doing better than you think. (Ummm... that is if you weren't one of the 87,000 dead after the earthquake or one of the over 10million left homeless.... )

This post was much more to illustrate there is quite a middle class these days.

No comments: