Sunday, February 11, 2007

the others

so I haven't been blogging much. Hardly at all really. My apologies.

the reason is that most of life consists of work, friends, and family. same as most of you all.

I don't feel I should blog about work because I've reached a more sensitive position in the company and don't want to mess it up. I'm running around to all sorts of schools everywhere and know a lot of things about a lot of people and spend my days trying to solve their problems. I like it. It keeps me on my toes. but I don't feel like I should blog it.

Friends. My friends all have their own lives and secrets and I am certainly not going to write about them. I believe that a non-anonomous blog should follow the rules of group therapy. You talk about your own experience, not that of others, even if you leave out their names.

Family. same as with friends.

and what of my own experiences? Why don't I write about them anymore?

1: I'm still having computer problems that mean I have trouble up loading pictures. Without pictures I fear my blogs are boring.

2: I am so in the middle of real life here, I've lost the perspective gap that one gets when first moving to a new country. I don't think this is a bad thing. It just takes a lot longer to sort out and properly formulate thoughts.

If you get bored, I suggest checking out my friend Brent, who often goes to the same parties and such that I do so you'll find me hamming for the camera (http://merrymanjapan.blogspot.com/2007/02/props-make-party.html) and eating sparrow (http://merrymanjapan.blogspot.com/2007/01/and-then-there-was-one.html) in some of his posts. He lives in greater tokyo.


http://merrymanjapan.blogspot.com

or sonicllama. who may or may not want his real name exposed. I believe he also responds to beatnik bookstore guy. He lives a few hours south of Osaka/Kyoto.

http://hiredtongue.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Seph said...

:-( I'll miss your posts. I've been pretty constantly reading them for the last year or so, even if I've only recently started to comment on them. I hope you find an anecdote that's sufficiently work and privacy safe in the near future to share with the rest of us.

Joe Streckert said...

I, too will miss your posts. This might sound cheesy as all hell, but you inspired me. Seriously- I equivocated for quite a while on whether or not to come to Japan. I thought that it would be too hard, take too much time and effort, be pointless, etc. In other words, I made excuses to myself for a while to not do it. But, there was a gnawing part of my brain that wanted to get the hell out of the States, and something that made that voice stronger was knowing that there was someone (you) who had done precisely that.
So, reading your blog and such told me "Yes, it can be done." I know, there are lots of Japan blogs out there, but yours was from someone I knew. In other words, someone who was real to me.
Ok... That just sounded totally dumb. Sorry.
Anyway, thank you for the blog-pimping. I appreciate it. I do think that my first name has slipped in there a couple of times, but I don't think it's that big a deal. I do think (for abstract, ethical reasons) that I should keep stuff anonymous as I'm writing about real people. But, I think that all of maybe seven or so people are reading me, so it's probably fine.
If you do have occasion to splurge your thougths onto the inter-tubes, I, of course, will read what you have to say.