Tuesday, February 07, 2006

the words that inspire me (part I)

often when I live alone I read out loud to myself. Recently I've been re-reading a couple of passages that I find comfort and inspiration in. I want to redesign my blog so that I have a spot to post the words that are currently inspiring me. Until then, here are some of the things that I recite to myself before work and/or before bed. I plan to post more and if any of you have suggestions, I'd love if you passed them on.

This one uncle Jim sent me. Maybe he can remind me of the author and the title? I don't know if the breaks are the same as in the original, but it's how I've taken to reading out loud. I'm going to post it on my wall and read it before heading out everyday. It rocks that much.


One day you finnally knew
what you had to do, and began
though the voices around you
kept shouting
their bad advice--

though the whole house
began to tremble
and you felt the old tug
at your ankles

"Mend my life!"
each voice cried.

But you didn't stop
you knew what you had to do

though the wind pried
with its stiff fingers
at the very foundations,
though their melancholy was terrible

It was already late,
enough, and a wild night,
and the road full of fallen
branches and stones.

But little by little,
as you left their voices behind
the stars began to burn
through the sheet of clouds,

and there was a new voice
which you slowly
recognized as your own

that kept you company
as you stode
deeper and deeper
into the world

determined to do--
determined to save
the only life you could save.

No comments: